When I work with clients, we discuss high-powered ways to optimize their LinkedIn profiles. We discuss what should be ‘above the fold’ (Google SEO jargon) when someone arrives on their profile.
We aim to make a memorable, grand entrance, just like the search results that appear Above The Fold on Google. (check it out here)
Now that your prospective client has been intrigued by your first impression, they want to know more.
Enter ‘below the fold’ — the equivalent of moving past ice-breaking small talk, into deeper conversations that result in quality collaborations and conversions.
The beautiful part about LinkedIn is that your resume, brand persona, and network are all in one place for over one billion people to see! This kind of reach is extremely expansive compared to any in-person networking room.
On the other side of the coin, given the impressive volume of users, it becomes far easier to blend into the background. This is why it’s essential to creatively stand apart from the crowd and let the people you’re meant to serve see you.
So, what sections should you focus on to showcase your unique brilliance, become the go-to expert in your industry, and activate the ‘it factor’ your ideal client craves?
Let’s take a look.
- Services: This relatively new feature makes it easy for prospective clients to window shop your offers. Even better than this is the placement– right at the top of your ‘below the fold’ line where the reader barely has to scroll to see it. Here you want to select only relevant and active services that you offer. We know you’re multi-talented and have a lot to bring to the table; however, to truly boost your search ranking and prevent confusion for prospective clients it’s best to keep to what’s current. Remember to link your company page to your services page and add featured media to showcase your talents!
- Featured: This is your time to shine! Here you can hand select the best of the best recognitions, awards, posts, links, articles, newsletters, etc. that showcase your accomplishments. Treat this section like your own customized trophy case. While LinkedIn doesn’t limit the amount of featured posts you can pin, we suggest sticking to only the true “trophy moments.” The goal with features is to not allow these well-deserved achievements to become muted in the noise of future posts.
- About: You know at The Borden Group, we love storytelling! It’s a powerful way to authentically connect with your audience, highlight your personality, and give that human touch to your work. This can become a challenge for many when operating behind a screen, which makes any opportunity to do so incredibly valuable. Your summary section is the ideal place to share your story, why you’re passionate about what you do, the results you have achieved, and how you can use your amazing achievements to support others.
- Experience Timeline: Scroll-stopping graphics, captivating descriptions, and an easy-to-digest timeline of events make this section a powerful asset for any professional to display their expertise. Don’t skip the details. Take the time to craft out the progression of your career to demonstrate how far you’ve come and how much further you’ll go! Make sure you have the right LinkedIn page linked for your job history so the logo will show up helping you stand out!
- Education / Volunteer / Projects: Consider these sections your “talking points.” Why? Because what happens when you find out you went to the same college, worked in a similar position, or share a common interest with someone? You want to reach out to them! Same goes here. Aside from creating new touch points for conversation, these sections also provide a dynamic snapshot of the growth, knowledge, and values you possess as a professional (and as a person).
- Featured Media: Your featured media section allows you to showcase your work, projects, and achievements visually. And we all know that visual content tends to attract more attention than written content. This section provides a more comprehensive view of your skills and accomplishments beyond what is conveyed through text. Including Featured Media on your profile builds credibility and is a agreat opportunity to tell your professional story in a more dynamic and compelling way.
- Recommendations / Endorsements: Don’t be shy – ask your network, past clients, or former colleagues for a recommendation or endorsement on your profile. You can also suggest an exchange with connections that align. When someone new to your network provides an endorsement or review for you, consider returning the favor. It always feels good to give back and help others on their success journey! We suggest to our clients who have a business or provide a service to ask for testimonials on their Services page.
- Publications / Honors & Awards: Credibility will never go out of style. Prospective clients want to see social proof, and this is the place to do it. Have you been featured in a magazine? Link it. Have you received an award for your hard work? Post it. Have you written a piece for a major media outlet? You bet we want to see that too!
When you commit to optimizing these sections with unmatched expertise and authenticity, you are sure to outshine your competitors and attract aligned clients
Want to learn more about this topic? Make sure to follow Melanie Borden on LinkedIn.
Love our content? Join the Human to Brand Community!